Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Avengers are buff, but are no Buffy

The Avengers movie was in theatres back in May, that being so long ago this post is hardly relevant to the times, was received with much fanfare and it was a huge success, I enjoyed it a lot. I did however want to point out two every obvious things... pointed out by many before me, and I'm sure many after me. One, cast of mostly white men, two, cast of mostly white men. Hey, isn't that the same thing twice, yes but from two different angles. First I would like to talk about the lack of racialized people in the movie, we see Nick Fury played by Samuel L Jackson, as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. he's not really a member of the team, so that leaves.... The Hulk.. he's green right... hmmm. All of the characters are "classic" avenger characters and have there place in the line up, but this also speaks to the over representation of white males in comics books. I have a few characters in mind that could have been included, or replaced one of the other characters. Sunfire, a Japanese hero currently in the avengers line up. Shang-Chi, a Chinese hero and current member of the avengers, I could go on.  My second point, only one female character, Black widow, other current members of the avengers that could have stood along side the movie lines up are. Rogue,
 former X-man and current member of the avengers. Quake, member ship status in question, but has close ties to Nick Fury as she is a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. Now I know, you're gonna say.. but isn't the movie based off the ultimate comics, and none of those characters exist in the ultimate universe, yes, you are correct, but since when has Hollywood been interested in continuity? But to full answer the question, if we use only ultimate avengers, that still leaves us with War Machine, James Rhodes, this character appeared in the Ironman movies, and The Wasp, Janet Van Dyne, an almost permanent member of the avengers who's exclusion is a huge oversight. Joss Whedon well writing some of the greatest and most inclusive fiction to hit television, with shows like Buffy (maybe lacking in racialized characters) and Firefly (with the slight oversight of including Chinese cultural elements , but no Chinese characters) has seemed to understate the importance of non-white non-male characters, possible due to the movies released pre avengers, so we'll place blame on the studio and not on Whedon for hopefully doing the best he could with the characters they gave him.
Ultimately what I want to point out in this long winded borderline non-sensical review is that White, and Male, are the dominant norm in most mainstream media, be it movies, like the marvel line up of movies, or video games, like gears of war 1 and 2 or the call of duty franchise, or Comic books, like the Avengers, or X-Men, or The Justice league. When looking at Peggy McIntosh's (see important links) and Whiteness and white privilege we can see how White people, men in most cases as superheros are making judgement calls and defining justice and rightness for all peoples, racialized and non-males.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post, I am glad that more and more people are picking up on the fact that the bulk of mainstream movies show case white males, especially movies that have a hero in it. White people are not the dominate race in our world, but yet by watching Hollywood movies an outsider would probably get that impression. But I think for this norm to be changed more people like need to do what you just did and point these facts out, they need to get enough recognition for someone to actually do something about this.

    ReplyDelete