I will be looking
at Stuart Halls’ definition of ideology, Hall describes an ideology as “The
mental frameworks – the language, concepts, categories, imagery of thought and
system of representation – which different classes and social groups deploy in
order to make sense of, define, figure out and render intelligible the way
society works” (Hall, 1996 pg. 26). What does Hall mean by this definition of
ideology? From this definition it is easy to see that Halls definition is
rooted in the material, instead of the metaphysical, the physical world and how
we interpret it is the most important part of understanding our lives and how
we fit into things. I intend to look at the Animal rights movement and use it
as a lens with which to look at Halls’ concept of ideology showing that the
Ideology of the Animal rights movement is grounded in the real world and stands
against real oppression.
I will do this by looking
at some of the components that make up the ideology of the Animal rights
movement; first I will look at language and examine some of terms used by
proponents of Animals rights to communicate their message; I will also talk
about the imagery, how it is used and the meanings behind the imagery.
The
terms used by the Animal rights movement that I will discuss will be speciesism,
and cruelty-free. First let us look at speciesism (a term I find myself using
at least a few times a week); the idea is that of a hierarchy, where one
species (human) is “better” than another, and therefore can discriminate
against and abuse another (non-human) species. By looking at this term using
Halls’ concept of ideology the central idea of Animal rights can be seen, the
equality of life and through this equality lies the possibility to see Animal
use as exploitative and abusive. Is it really such a mental leap to see the
exploitation of Animals any differently than the plight of the working class, poor,
women, or any group that is suffering oppression? I would say no, the suffering
of any species, group, or class seems unnecessary.
The
term cruelty-free is much as it appears, a statement that we are living a life
that, as much as possible, causes as little suffering as possible. So if this
term is so straight forward why did I select it for examination? The term
cruelty-free has made great leaps into the mainstream, products labelled as
cruelty-free grace the shelves of major grocery chains, it has even been
distorted in the labelling of “cruelty-free meat,” the use of the term is in
this way allows others to change the way they view the things they consume, to
alleviate the conscience of burden. So it is evident that the term used by
Animal right advocates has a different meaning and effects how we see the
products we purchase differently than someone who holds no such values.

I
have demonstrated how the Animal rights movement is the ideological filter that
we see the world though, and how the ideas are grounded in the material world
and that the goal of the ideology is to make real change in the world, I have
done this by showing how the language is rooted in the traditional language of
oppression and links species oppression with forms of human oppression. I have
also shown how imagery plays a role in stating and reinforcing the beliefs and
moral outlook of the Animal rights movement by showing both oppression and
compassion.
References
Hall, Stuart (1996)
‘The problem of ideology: Marxism without guarantees’ in D. Morley and K-H Chen
(eds.) Stuart Hall: Critical Dialogues in
Cultural Studies. London: Routledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment